Having a successful career without a laptop is very difficult in the current scenario. There are innovations and news in every field so a laptop can help you in keeping yourself up-to-date with the happenings.
With laptops, it is also easy for you to carry your work around and be dynamic. However, what are the things that you must look for on a laptop for work?
The Top Things You Need to Do When Looking at a Laptop For Work
A work laptop is different from a gaming one. You do not need to run the latest games on it. Instead, you need to run all the Word files, the browsers, and multi-task seamlessly. Sure, it requires a good processing power, your machine, depending on the task that you are performing, but the similarity ends there.
The processor does not matter as much, and you may not need a graphics card. So, what do you need?
Here is a step by step guide that will help you choose the best laptop for work:
STEP 1: HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU SPEND ON YOUR LAPTOP?
Before you dive into choosing the best laptop for gaming recommended by topprobe.com, you need to understand your requirements. If you spend much time traveling, then you need to go for a laptop that has a good battery backup. If you are into designing and graphics, you need to have a laptop with a high-end graphics card.
If you want to use your laptop for web browsing, then you can go for a laptop with basic configuration and good speed. The following steps will help you figure out which type of laptop would be best for your requirement. Therefore, it is essential that you define your needs as a first step.
STEP 2: WHAT KIND OF OPERATING SYSTEM WOULD WORK FOR YOU?
If you are an extensive user who has to share files and data with people on a regular basis as a part of your job, then Windows operating would be best for you. It is the most common operating system and can run most of the applications available in the market. However, if you want a more sophisticated operating system, you can go for a Mac iOS.
If you mostly deal with Mac users, then this operating system is best for you. The applications specially made for Mac iOS run on it. You can also choose Linux which is a free iOS and includes Ubuntu, Mint, or Fedora.
Small research about the programs and applications used by most people you deal with can help you choose the right operating system for yourself.
STEP 3: WHAT WOULD BE THE APPROPRIATE SIZE FOR YOU?
If you move around a lot with your laptop, then you might want to choose a size between 11 to 12 inches that weighs around 2.5 to 3.5 pounds. However, if it sounds too small, you can also go for 13 to 14 inches because these laptops also weigh under 4 pounds with decent screen size.
As you go up, a 15 inches laptop would be slightly heavy but with a bigger screen so you can go for it if you leave your laptop at your office desk most of the days.
Lastly, if you like a big screen and don’t intend to move your laptop too much, you can go for 17 to 18 inches. However, these laptops are best used at the workstation because their battery backup is not very high.
STEP 4: HOW TO DECIDE ON SPECIFICATIONS?
Laptop specifications are perhaps the essential part when you are choosing your laptop. Following are some of the points to keep in mind:
- CPU: The processor plays a vital role in influencing the performance of your laptop. You can go for the 7th generation of Intel core processor for a budget laptop for good performance. However, Intel Xeon is one of the most powerful ones with excellent battery life. So, if you have a highly mobile workstation, you can go for it. You can even use it for video editing and 3D modeling. It is light and easy to carry.
- RAM: Going for a laptop with less than 4GB RAM would not make sense even if your use is minimal. Ideally, you must go for 8GB RAM, or the best would be a 16GB RAM.
- GRAPHICS: For essential requirement with no video editing, 3D modeling or video games requirement, an integrated graphics chip would correctly for you.
- STORAGE: Going for a Solid-State Drive (SSD) instead of external storage would work best. Depending on your budget, you can go SSD or a mix of SSD and HDD.
- DISPLAY: Laptops with higher pixels are better and give a better performance. A standard laptop with 1366 X 76 Display is good enough, but if you want to go higher in the budget for HD laptops, you can get one that runs at 1920 X 1080. The higher you go, the better would be the performance.
STEP 5: WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?
Finally, you need to keep your budget in mind as well. If you spend between $350 – $600, you can quickly get a good budget laptop with 8GB RAM, 500GB hard drive and all the specifications that are needed in a good laptop.
However, going higher in your budget between $600 to $900, you can get premium designs and SSD storage with high screen resolution. We do recommend going in for SSD storage at least since they are a lot more reliable and can help keep your work files safe. HDD’s can crash any time on the other hand, and you have to be particularly careful to save your work on the cloud every time.
Again, going above $900 will open the door to much faster processors with long-lasting durability.
Of course, the higher you go in your budget, the better it is but you can always choose the laptop based on your requirements to make optimum use of your money.